Caul-De-Sac
I'm sitting on the edge of the Caul-De-Sac
Looking at one of my childhood homes
on a dark,
and cold,
and crisp
October night
Back in 1995
My heart now roams ...
There are hand prints in the cement
on the driveway
etched in the shadows
messy writing in the cement
bares a name of mine now fallow
but I still know who she is
and
I'm looking outside
and from within
and now
my brooding soul hovers
In a shawl, black and knit
feet one inch above the ground
under street lights dim and lit...
The centered street light
bathes me in
a familiar orange dim
and a crows' perched on the rim
silently he stares me down
as my face bleeds a dripping frown
like black slate running down my cheeks
this is the greatest, deepest grief
Grieving for all that was
I tried so hard to make it last
even though I barely grasped
my vibrance, muffled
by all the noisy shuffles
then I got lost ...
and felt daft
then, well
of course
they crudely laughed
Oh what was
if it could've been
At the caul-de-sac again
When I was 10...
But, it simply could not have been..
because I never fit the scenes
Not my needs, my thoughts, nor my feelings,,
and not even, later on, my physical dealings...
I was treated as though I simply lacked
Something I, apparently, should have had
but there was never a 'real' - meaning honest - way to grab ..
'It'
Meaning, the 'It' that I should have had ..
But it was what I'd keep pathetically
trying to grab
I then hovered between
masking, wanting to escape
and doubting all being
But the doubt, I wanted to face
and in spite of things, I sparked a dream..
So then I began to dig
for the answers unsaid
through the rigged of the rig..
where only the fed are fed
Then I found some of the answers
I wrote them down in soulful red
then others like me cried out 'Aye' in resonance
and informally, some real truth was said
but the flipside is
today I'm half dead
'cause I paid for what I said
I was too naive to know
what the hurt of discrimination
denial of my very being
would do to my head...
I got hurt and tired to the point
that it ate into my bones
and too, I was burnt by the fire
of my very own desire
Throughout this journey
I became weary
and more than certainly
permanently leery
Damn
I just got tired of being
with what doesn't hold my being
I needed to ignite
and I meant for no crime
but I was taken for wrong over right
when I'd ignite in response
to unjust rhyme
Now, I'm standing in the ashes
and they're covering this caul-de-sac
They're raining down my back
Sitting slate grey flakes,
over a sheath of black
and I've been swollen
and I've been frozen
weak and stagnant, in this poison
but with my ashes
I must craft
a new way I
have to craft
I cannot let them
have the last laugh..
So, moon, pull me up
like a magnet
like a shaft
Caul-de-sac
on this map
Let the past
Be ash ...
Comments
Post a Comment